A Dream of Danica McKellar

I had a dream this morning. I can't remember the details now, but I do remember who I dreamed of. I guess I could call her my childhood love. She was someone I saw on television when I was just a small boy. Somehow, I simply fell in love with the first time I saw those big round eyes of hears. I didn't even know her name, neither could I remember her character's name. All I know is that I have this infatuation over her.

During my days in the Polytechnic, I met a girl who looked remarkably similar to her. It was that infatuation that spurred me to approach this girl, and got to know her if only casually. Her name is Chelsea, at least thats what I think it is. Time has blurred my memory. Anyway, I never saw her again after her graduation. Since them, I have never thought about Laurie nor the young actress again until I had this dream today.

The only clue I have is the show's name, "The Wonder Years". Thanks to the miracle of the today's Internet, I now know she played the character of Gwendolyn Cooper. Her real name, is Danica Mae McKellar, born in January 1975 just a shy three months after my own birthday, and yes she is as lovely as the first time I saw her on television nearly 2 decades ago. She is still an actress today, but unfortunately I have never seen any of them since these shows aren't available in Singapore. However I truly am surprised that she was in one of my favorite shows, The West Wing. How could I have missed that, I have no idea.

What is more surreal for me, is that Miss McKellar has a degree in Mathematics, have published scientific papers as an undergraduate student and recently wrote a book encouraging women to take up Mathematics. Beauty, brains and most of all a Heart. That is the perfect combination and it makes me feel as if I could fall in love with her all over again like I did so many years ago. Alas she is all the way on the other side of the globe and busy with her Hollywood career! Oh well, I guess I just have to look for someone closer to home. :)

0 comments: